Thursday, November 8, 2007

tom petty, i forgive you for stealing from paul westerberg


just finished watching the new tom petty documentary "runnin' down a dream" directed by peter bogdanovich. you know, the feller with the kerchief.

i've owned some petty albums, always been a casual fan. but watching this really made me appreciate the uniqueness of his career. truly a rebel, and it's not just a persona. he really didn't take shit from anyone. he may be, in fact, the most punk major label recording artist of all time. it's a wonder he was never dropped and banished by the 'biz'.

several things pointed out in the film will make me listen with fresh ears. the main one was when someone (i forget who) mention the sadness of his voice. i suppose i've always had the image of t.p. as a 'take it as it comes' semi-hippy. the man does love his weed. but when i think about out it, his songs are very melancholy. 'southern accents'? i've rarely heard a lovelier song. that line about his mom kills me.

and let me mention this: when he performs 'the waiting' with eddie vedder, it's just unbelievably moving. vedder looks like he's about to jump out of his skin with excitement. they then cut to an interview where he talks about how songs are so important, and how he can remember where he was when he heard specific ones, and how they made him feel. he wonders whether artists really appreciate how important their work is to people. young people. music is there when they need it most.

i remember i bought 'the waiting' single at a garage sale. it's my fave t.p. song.

so thanks to tom petty for always being around. for not making to much of a fuss about it. and thanks for being (arguably) the most punk mother fucker on the planet.


p.s.- and who knew benmont tench was such a bad ass?

p.p.s- the doc is also worth watching, if for nothing else, the recording of the song "keeping me alive", an outtake from 'hard promises' that is one of his best songs.

3 comments:

MO'SH said...

Great review! I felt the same way about Tom after watching -- I appreciate him so much more. I love that scene with him and McGuinn and those company pricks. Yeah, he's fucking melancholy. He's got maybe one "love song." Although, they're all love songs, in the best kind of way.

Anonymous said...

Ahhh Jimmy. I finally accept you as my brother in law now!

Anonymous said...

still have a fantasy that tom petty will one day be my neighbor and that he will let me borrow his ladder