Thursday, April 3, 2008

lesson #53: gloomy thursday


it's been cold here lately. snow. in march. bullshit.
sometimes i wanna bundle up and curl into a ball on the couch.
these are the songs i do that with:

1. annie-ronnie lane and pete townshend. off of the great 'rough mix'. i am a recent convert to ronnie lane. just a beautiful man. everything he sings relaxes me. this song is a gem. a gorgeous lullaby. lucy said it sounded irish. i guess it does. maybe that's why i like it. one of those songs where when you hear it for the first time you feel like you've always known it.

2. tonight will be fine-teddy thompson. richard's son does a fine version of this leonard cohen song. so understanding and steady. 'if i've got to remember that's a fine memory'. ah, if only...

3. a long way from home-the kinks. man, i love the kinks almost as much as wes anderson does. i think hearing ray davies tough but weary voice as a kid prepared me for the replacements. a song of compassion with a touch anger. complex and subtle. and mick avory is a somnabitch!

4. on and on and on-wilco. tweedy's best song? debatable. but the one that moves me more than any of his others. i guess it's about his father and the loss of him mother, but it could just as easily read as a relationship song. a resigned musing on death. 'please don't cry/we're designed to die'. not nihilistic at all. just accepting. and loving.

5. be not so fearful-bill fay. 'be not so fearful, be not so pale. someone watches you, you will not leave the rails.' 'be not so sorry for what you've done, you must forget them now they're done'. 'and when you wake up you will find you can run'.
haven't you waited your whole life for someone to tell you that?
well, he's telling you now.

music.
i fell so much better now.

3 comments:

MO'SH said...

Beautiful! I've gotta hear that Wilco song. Shit -- I probably own it, but, you know, just haven't listened to it...

Anonymous said...

Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my blog, it is about the Projetores, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://projetor-brasil.blogspot.com. A hug.

Lucy Starcrest said...

^^ That is a cute spam comment: "This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations" !!!

1. Yeah, I thought this was maybe an old folk tune I had heard my dad play.
2. I love this song, and Teddy Thompson's version surpasses Leonard Cohen's, IMO.
3 & 4. Don't know these but wanna look them up now!
5. This was a lovely closer for my mixed CD, thanks. Does Wilco do a version of this? I didn't know who the artist was as I was listening, but I looked up the lyrics and Wilco was listed. Great song.