Saturday, December 8, 2007

something i learned today


you know what' great? sitting and listening to music. have you done it lately? i mean just sit there and listen. don't have it on while you clean the house. don't have it playing in the other room. just sit there (or preferably lay) and listen.

today i listened to robert wyatt's new one 'comicopera'.

then i had on the first manassas album. hate csn, love manassas!

then i put on the martin hannett collection that big beat put out. you know martin hannett right? yea, he's great.

i had on nick cave's 'no more shall we part' on for a while, but it wasn't exactly what i wanted. it's a fine album tho' and if you don't know it, well, i'm sure you have your good points too.

and i lay there. and relaxed. and let it all wash over me.

now, some people may have said i wasted my day. some people may have been out with their pals today, maybe watching the football game. do they play football on sat.? if you know the answer to that get off this page. i hate you and you're not welcome back. some people may have spent the day getting some work done around the house. i can't blame you. the place is a fucking mess!

me? i just lay there. like a slob. unshaved and in my pajamas. just absorbing the music. listening to every bit of it. the oddball percussion on the manassas album. the quiet beauty of robert wyatt. the outerspace pop of martin hannett. i lay there and took it all in.

and i feel like i got alot done. i feel like i'm better than when i woke up. when i'm at work tomorrow i will close my eyes when the headache hits, i will think of a record spinning 33 and 1/3revolutions per minute and i will be ok. i will be ok.

2 comments:

MO'SH said...

College Football Saturday, dude! You think you're smarter than me? At least I listen to ALL of my music, not just 33 1/3. Oh, snap, gotta go -- "The Hills" is on!

Anonymous said...

That was lovely. Even though I recognize myself as the listen-to-music-while-cleaning-the-house type of person. I wish I could just lay there but I get all fidgety. You know... fidgety and disheveled?