Thursday, July 24, 2008

catching waves again


yep, i've been lazy again. lots of videos. just remember kids, they all have meaning. if not to you, to me.
but i've been thinking too. i've had lots of stellar, musictacular ideas! things that'll make you think. gems like this:

1. tom waits. he's great. we can all agree. but why isn't he called out more on how derivative he is? at best he's a 3rd rate howlin' wolf. at 2nd best he's a 2nd rate harry partch. at 3rd best he's a, uh, 1st rate (?) capt. beefheart. i mean, i love the guy, but has he ever matched 'lick my decals off, baby'?

2. does listening to 'blood and chocolate' in the 8th grade ruin your chances of ever having a healthy relationship?

3. ray davies. don't you just wanna hug him?

4. crosby, stills, and nash. they suck. everything they've ever done (with the possible exeption of the last 2 minutes of suite judy blue eyes) has sucked. trite hippy bastards. why do people love them? side note: stephen stillls is great. i love his voice. and manassas is a motherfucker.

5. 'check the expiration date, man, it's later than you think'. it's a line from a pavement song. why does it go through my head everyday?

6. does the album i listened to today dictate my mood tomorrow? i listened to elliot smith's 'new moon' and capt. beefheart's 'ice cream for crow' tonight.

7. dion. dion....

8. has anyone else noticed how steve perry plagiarizes sam cooke vocally?

9. does syd barrett have any songs on a maxell tape, recorded circa 1976, that no one will ever hear, that would make you shake and weep from their beauty? i'm just asking.

10. the drummer on tupelo honey. i haven't researched this yet, but i love this guy. listen to how he just BEATS those drums during the last minute of that song. gets my pulse racing!!! gets my blood boiling!!! he's an angel!!!!!!!

so, yeah. those are all in the works. feel free to vote on your favorite.

4 comments:

MO'SH said...

Yeah, well Westerberg is a 2nd rate Tommy conwell. Nah, nah... Maybe I'll rip of this column (what else is new) and list my own recent favorite musical musings. I love it!

Brian Kunath said...

I'd like to hear more about the suckiness of Crosby, Stills and Nash.

What can I say? I enjoy a good rant.

Lucy Starcrest said...

Do do do do do / Do do do do do do
Do do do do do / Do do do do!

Repeat 85x

I'm sorry, I don't know why I like singing that so much...

Lucy Starcrest said...

Hey, how about some love for DAVE Davies??